Huntington Girls Basketball Takes the Court

Teddi Carnesi, Contributing Writer

On Tuesday, November 12th, the Huntington Girls Basketball team returned to the court. On the first day of tryouts, the court was filled with energy, excitement, and optimism. The varsity team is led by head coach Mike Kaplan and assistant coach Marissa Bergmann. After an unfortunate loss in the first round of playoffs last season, new and returning players are looking to go far this year.

The varsity squad consists of seniors; Abby Maichin, and Holly Wright; juniors Jordan Forte, Alexa Amorison, and Charlotte Maggio; Sophomores Emily Plachta, Katie Browne, Makaylah Fraizer, and Junie Nostile; and freshman Gianna Forte. The team is also expecting some newcomers from last years junior varsity team. Abby Maichin, a Notre Dame lacrosse commit and key element for Huntington’s success is extremely excited for her senior year. Maichin stated, “This season is a bittersweet season for me. This season is my last year ever playing my favorite sport. I am so excited to be a senior on this team, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to make this season go on as long as possible. The girls on this team are a family; no drama, just basketball and fun. We have the potential to be really good this year with 10 team members returning and some really good new key additions. I cannot wait to get the season going and to start gameplay. It’s going to be a great year!”

The Blue Devils work considerably hard every single practice. Kaplan and Bergmann challenge the girls with precise drills that help their game tremendously. Sophomore, Emily Plachta averaged 12 points a game last year. Plachta’s work ethic, athleticism, and background knowledge in basketball increase the Blue Devil’s skill immensely. Plachta states she can’t wait to get playing, “I’m really looking forward to having a great season with such a close team. I think we can go far this season, and we have the potential to make it farther into playoffs. It’s going to be an awesome season and I couldn’t be more excited.” The Blue Devils are nothing but positive coming into a new and fresh season.