Last Months Climate Strike

Last Months Climate Strike

Sophia Segal, Staff Writer

On Friday, September 20th, millions took part in climate strikes around the world. Women, men, and children attended strikes to protest against the climate crisis. Students left school early or took a day off in order to get their message across. 

Climate activist Greta Thunberg attended the strike in New York, where she discussed what actions need to be taken to prevent the climate crisis from evolving. Greta and many others stated this by marching, reading speeches and holding up signs.

The goal of this strike was to encourage people to change their actions and emphasize that this is not a new issue. This was expressed mainly by students. Groups in schools have been created surrounding the climate movement. This includes the youth led group, Sunrise Huntington, which was established this past August. Senior, Bella Fodera, a member of Sunrise Huntington, said “this group brings people together with the common goal of promoting a sustainable lifestyle and climate justice for animals and humans alike.” In addition to the Sunrise Movement,other groups such as SustainUS and Uplift are led by students and aim to help people learn more about the climate at a young age. The hope is to make people realize that there is a large climate crisis.