Teacher Feature: Mrs. Kenny

Erin Ye, Editor

Every morning at 6:45, Mrs. [Lori] Kenny opens her door to students who are looking for somewhere to spend their time before the first period bell rings. Room 112 is always full before school and Mrs. Kenny is always there, helping students with their science research projects or conducting extra help sessions for Living Environment. She’s a popular choice when students are asked about their favorite teachers. Beyond anything else, what makes Mrs. Kenny so special is her complete dedication to the well-being of those in her classroom.

Beyond anything else, what makes Mrs. Kenny so special is her complete dedication to the well-being of those in her classroom.

Around Huntington High School, Mrs. Kenny’s name is tied to the science program, where she is a Living Environment Honors teacher, a Science Research mentor, and one of the Science Olympiad team advisors. She’s known for her love of giraffes; her room is entirely filled with pictures of the long-necked fellows along with notes from adoring graduated students. Some things that make her unique as a teacher include her independent approach to teaching: students take notes for themselves and engage in hands-on learning activities at their own pace. There’s no deadline, she accepts late work for full credit until the end of each marking period. Although tests can be challenging, the option to retake is always available and students receive whichever of the scores are higher. “Once you get it wrong the first time, you never forget it,” explains Mrs. Kenny. Her entire philosophy about teaching centers around “teaching smarter, not harder.” She is constantly looking for new ways to make biology engaging and approachable, through new software programs or class activities. Her enthusiasm for her job has also made her approachable for students, especially freshmen who are adjusting to the rigor of high school classes. Many students who had Mrs. Kenny during their first year have remained close to her ever since.

For anybody in need of a guiding figure or pleasant environment before first period, Room 112 will open its doors again to you and any others.

Beyond the classroom, Mrs. Kenny is the mother of two young children, a former gymnast, and enjoys running to Sunken Meadow State Park in her free time. She is a fixture here at Huntington and a supportive figure for many. Her unique teaching style and her love for all things science (and giraffes) have made her stand out among the dozens of faculty members in the building. For anybody in need of a guiding figure or pleasant environment before first period, Room 112 will open its doors again to you and any others.

Erin Ye
Ms. Kenny and several of her students.